Wiltshire fire and rescue service has issued a warning about the risk of towels and linen catching fire. There have been several incidents recently in laundrettes, salons and homes where fires have started in tumble driers. The problem has been traced to low temperature wash cycles, sometimes as low as 15°C. At this temperature the washing detergents are unable to break down and remove oils that have been absorbed by the towel. When the towel or sheet is put into a tumble drier there is a greater risk of it catching fire.
This can be a particular problem for beauty therapists or anyone using oils for massage or aromatherapy.
Use a 40°C wash or above to be safe.